This week I want to share with you the most simple recipe for sausage rolls which I made for my oldest son's birthday a few weeks ago.
Everybody loved them and kept asking where I bought them so I think it's fair to say that once you have made your own you won't want to buy one again.
It's quick and easy using ready made puff pastry and sausage meat with a few extra bits to transform the flavour.
I think the combination of flavours you could add are endless but I was mindful of smaller children who can sometimes be a bit fussy.
Ready Made Puff Pastry Sheets
1 Clove Garlic finely chopped
1 Small Onion finely chopped
2 Teaspoons Mixed Herbs
Salt and Black Pepper to season
Beaten egg or milk
1. Preheat the oven to 220ºC/425ºF/Gas 7
2. Place your sausage meat into a large bowl along with the chopped garlic, onion and herbs.
3. Add some salt and pepper to season and mix everything together with your hands.
4. Lightly flour your work surface and unroll out the ready made pastry.
5. Cut the sheet of pastry in half.
6. Divide the sausage meat in two and roll each piece into a sausage shape.
7. Place the sausage meat down the middle of the pastry and wash over the edge of the pastry
with the beaten egg or milk and fold it over - the beaten egg or milk will make sure that the edges stick together.
8. Next brush over the whole length of pastry with the beaten egg and then divide into small rolls - you should get about 8 good sized sausage rolls from each piece.
9. Place in the oven and bake for about 20 mins until the pastry is golden and the sausage meat is cooked through.
10. These are lovely on their own, or served with pickle, mustard, tomato ketchup.
I'm linking in with Townsend House What I am Eating click on the link to have a look at what everybody else is eating this week.